According to Forbes, scalp care is one of the hottest beauty trends of the upcoming years while Google reveals that searches about scalp care increased by 300 percent last year. What’s more #scalp has over 700, 000, 000 views on TikTok. Well, it looks like scalp care products are going to hit the big time!
How to care for scalp?
Why has scalp care got popular? This may be linked to the recent years, pandemic and economic instability which caused a lot of stress, and consequently affected our skin and hair. Hair loss is said to be the body’s reaction to lack of balance in life. There’s a popular remedy on TikTok, among others. It’s a hair oil treatment. If it’s done regularly, it gives:
- thicker hair
- new hairs growing out (baby hair)
- hair glossiness
- stronger hair
- more hair volume
To be honest, hair oil treatment is just a fancy name for an old Ayurvedic traditional hair oiling that women in India have been doing for ages. It’s passed on from one generation to another.
This is how we should apply oils to hair.
- Comb your hair before applying oils (but don’t do that after application).
- Heat oil up but make sure it isn’t hot (over steam or in a microwave – be very careful).
- Apply the oil on the scalp making sure you cover every inch of it.
- Gently massage the scalp for around 5 minutes.
- Leave the oil in for a few hours or at least 30 minutes.
Do the hair oil treatment two or three times a week.
Good oils for scalp care and hair oil treatment:
- pumpkin seed oil
- almond oil
- cedar oil
- sage oil
- jojoba oil
- argan oil
To care for hair and scalp like a pro, hairdressers say we need to cleanse the scalp well while hair washing, especially after oiling. Massage the shampoo into the scalp to remove oils, products and dirt that build up. Always choose the right shampoo for your hair type and use heat protectant after washing!
The best scalp care products
Products for scalp care should cleanse, soothe and/or strengthen the scalp. Many of them are used while washing or for hair oil treatment. What are the top picks?
- Nanoil Castor Oil – the highest-quality beauty oil which clears the scalp and strengthens the hair and hair follicles. It has all beneficial ingredients that are found in castor beans because it’s organic and cold-pressed (heat deprives oil of nourishing ingredients).
- Kevin Murphy Scalp Spa Serum – a leave-in treatment with celery extract which has a hydrating and soothing effect, rose oil which soothes irritated scalp, and lavender oil which restores scalp balance. The treatment remedies both dry and oily scalp.
- Ouai Scalp Serum – it contains hyaluronic acid, vitamin E and peptides which restore scalp balance and strengthen the hair.
- Kiehl’s Amino Acid Treatment Mask for Scalp & Hair – a hydrating mask for scalp, includes amino acids, salicylic acid, shea butter and arginine which soothe dry, irritated scalp.
- Rituals Purifying Scalp & Scrub Shampoo is a mild scrub and shampoo. It restores balance, removes dead skin cells, gets rid of scalp buildup and has a nice cooling effect thanks to added mint. A spoon of the product must be mixed with water, rubbed between the palms until creating lather and massaged into the scalp.